This blog has served its purpose. Shan and I tried our best to keep all those who loved and cared for Mom informed on how she was doing while courageously fighting melanoma. While doing so, I hope you got a glimpse of how deeply we loved our mother. Thanks for loving my mother too. Please stay in touch. My two email addresses are:
goddard.hampton@us.icapenergy.com
boogiehampton@gmail.com
Here are my words (yes, Shannon had to read them for me) from the service on Saturday:
A devastating storm blew in this past week and my lights went out. My lights are back on now, but my world will forever be a little less bright. There is a little less love. The world will be a little less fun, a little less forgiving, a little less compassionate, and a little less encouraging. Without my mom, how could it not be?
She made vacations more memorable.
She made holidays more joyful.
She made her friends feel more special.
And her family so much more loved.
She made me.......such a better person.
Our mothers shape and mold so much of our character and personalities. Im proud to admit Im a lot like my mother. There is a lot of her in me.
When I get overly excited about something and jump in head first without much thought --that's Mom in me.
When I dream huge, unrealistic dreams--that's Mom in me.
When I take wild, uncalculated risks--that's Mom in me.
When there are threatening skies overhead and I still dont have a worry in the world--that's Mom in me.
When I want to party and have a little too much fun--that's Mom in me.
When I dont sweat the small stuff--that's Mom in me.
When I trust strangers too much--that's Mom in me.
When I leave the doors unlocked at night--that's Mom in me.
When I think you're better than you really are--that's Mom in me.
When Im not offended by you when maybe I should be--that's Mom in me.
When Im selfless and generous, that's Mom in me.
When Im mentally tough and resilient, determined to persevere--that's Mom in me.
When Im naive to other's bad intentions or evil motives--that's Mom in me.
When March Madness overtakes me and I cheer out of my mind for the Louisville Cardinals--that's Mom in me.
When I walk by faith WAY more than I do by sight--that's Mom in me.
When Im totally relaxed on a beach, with the wind in my hair, the sun on my face, the sand under my feet, and a cold, fruity drink in my hand--that's Mom in me.
When I passionately defend a friend or family member, that's Mom in me.
When I am at my most caring, my most tender, and my most loving--it is Mom in me.
She will always be in me.
And while I have always trusted God that heaven is a wonderful place-in some way-I know it is now even better. And I will yearn even more to go there to be with my mom and my Lord when my days here on earth are done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Shannon,
This is Leah from your new homeschool group here in Memphis.
What a joy to know you and your lovely family! Thank you for sharing your very personal thoughts about your mother on this blog!! My heart is very touched! What a grand thing to have belonged to a mother who loved you all so completely! So many are not so blessed! You know from our conversations that my mother is also one of the finest moms! As I think of how my life would be without my mother I can relate to your pain!
Please know that we celebrate with you as you remember all that your mother was in this life! Celebrate who she was is Christ! Who she is now in heaven walking with Him!!
Know that your new friends here are eager to wrap their arms around you in sisterly love!! :)
Leah
Wow, what a great post. I would love to have that said about me at my funeral by one of my kids.
Thanks for sharing your hearts during these trying months. You have been an encouragement to me and I know many others.
I am sure heaven is a better place know, just like you said.
Post a Comment