Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Moving downstairs

Mom's hospital bed is being delivered tomorrow. It will be set up downstairs so she wont have to negotiate the stairs nearly as much. I actually think this will help her to be more active than she is right now. Upstairs, she had the tendency of feeling trapped. Now, she will have easy access to the kitchen whenever she wants, and will be more ready, mentally and physically, to leave the house whenever anyone wants to take her out. It wont be such a chore to just get up and go.
This is a big step for Mom. Shan and I have been suggesting she make this move for quite a while. Emotionally, she has resisted moving downstairs for so long because that was Mammy's (Mom's mother) place. That is where she took care of her sick mother the last few years of her life before she passed away. I think the space held memories of sickness and death for Mom. Im glad she has overcome those feelings. Memories and emotions are powerful things that affect us in ways we often dont even recognise. We are going to try to help decorate the room and liven the place up a bit, too. Jenn is a master at the "happy place" decor. I also think Mom will feel more comfortable seeing visitors now too. So, if you are out and about, I suggest just swinging by and popping in to see her.
God Bless,
Boogie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, it's the Alvey Family (Tim, Amy & Taylor). A friend from the courthouse told me that you had started a blog to keep everyone up to date on how your Mom has been doing. They weren't certain of the site but thank goodness for Google. I've gone all the way back to the beginning so I could get up to date. Sounds like she's been through so much and has kept so strong. Please tell her that we say hello and we send our love and prayers. And the same goes to you Boogie and your entire family. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers as you travel done the path of unknowns.