Poor mom, she has been so swollen for the past 3 weeks, but this past week she has started retaining lots and lots of water in her legs. If you can imagine also, the swelling is in her face, hip and arms. Since last Monday she has gained 16 lbs. Her legs are so swollen, I cringe when I touch them. We have all talked to the doctors about it and they tell us it is the cancer. Really?? They give us no idea what we can do. Yesterday, after leaving KY (I had been there all last week) I called Dr. Millers nurse (Kelly) to tell her how much mom has gained. She ordered some lasics (sp) and a potassium pill. Then Julie took mom to get her tapped and the radiologist couldn't find a pocket big enough to drain the fluid and so they sent her home and told her to return Friday. I about drove the car off the road when mom told me. Her belly is so swollen. I dont' know how she is doing it. Once again, mom is incredible. She said yesterday that if she gains a couple more pounds she is going to be FAT. She doesnt' even complain. I do enough for her I suppose. She gets upset with me because I get freaked out and start calling all the nurses. They say it can be a result of being on ONTAK all last week but I dont' know if I agree with them since it has been going on for a while.
Among other news, last week mom's brother, Michael came in to see her. He is staying until the 23rd. Then my dear friend from NY, Nadine, came in town as well to see mom. We have had such a great time just hanging out. Mom has really been on this Margherita/Bloody Mary kick lately-- it has been pretty funny.
Please keep mom in your prayers. Pray for this swelling to go away. And praise God for her beautiful spirit through all of this -- she is a true inspiration.
Love, Shannon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My mom is undergoing ONTAK therapy also with Dr. Miller. I've read your blog and empathize and sympathize with all you are going through. Your mother is a very lucky person to have you, and I'm lucky to have run across your blog. Its very frustrating watching all the side effects cancer can have. My mother has unidentified abdominal pain, is too weak to leave her couch/bed, and seems to have a weird new ailment each day. Its VERY painful to see someone you love go through this. I bring over her new (6 week) and only grandchild, and it breaks my heart when she's too weak to hold him. How about we pray for each other's mother and for each other? A few extra never hurts! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Molly,
Thanks for your comments. We will be praying for your mom too.
Dear Molly Rose-- I would love to talk with you further about everything you/we are going through --please call me 901.317.7354
Shannon
Post a Comment