Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I Am The Biggest Loser!

This is totally unrelated to Mom, but many have asked how my weight loss competition was going. My family and friends know I'm a big loser, but now it is official --Im the biggest loser of them all! The final weigh in was this morning. I pulled some big numbers, making the Yellow team proud. I lost 33 lbs in eight weeks, going from 216 to 183, a total loss of 15.3 %. There was no magic formula. It was a lot of hard work, but the plan was very simple--Eat well and excercise a ton. You have to burn more calories than you consume. There is no other way. Here are a few specific things I did that work well:
1)Eat little meals every 3 hrs that include lean protein like chicken, turkey, or seafood. This keeps your metabolism high. Make breakfast your biggest little meal and reduce the calories of each meal a little as the day goes on.
2)Drink tons of water. This helps your metabolism and curbs hunger.
3)Avoid fried foods, sweets, drinks with calories, and anything processed or enriched (no white bread-eat only whole wheat or whole grain)
4)Try to exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Do anything for 45 min that gets your heart rate up.
5)If crazy like me, do another 45 min in the afternoon.
6)With extra time lift weights so to keep muscle tissue (wanna burn fat, not muscle)
I will admit I had a special plan for the last 24 hrs. I dont recommend trying this at home. I went on a 24 hr total food and water fast. Believe me, not drinking water for 24 hrs is a lot harder than not eating. Last night I weighed 189. Then I woke up this morning at 5:00, put 5 layers of clothes on, got to the YMCA at 5:30 and ran 3 miles on the treadmill and rode 30 min on the bike. I thought I was gonna pass out. I came home--all 5 layers were ringing wet. Weighed 182. I had lost 7lbs of water. Again, do not try this at home. I got the idea off a wrestling web site for cutting weight. Bad idea. I felt miserable. Stick to the normal plan, numbers 1-6 above. After I weighed in I drank a half gallon of Gatorade and ate a PB and J sandwich and Kit Kat. It may have been the greatest meal of my life. Ok, it was. Then Jenn surprised me with having PF Chang's delivered to me for lunch. She is a sweetie. Im just now starting to feel normal. We have plans to go out with everybody for pizza tonight. I have been craving pizza for weeks. Yummy. Yellow Team rules!

Boog

5 comments:

DuffFam said...

And you wonder why people think your weird :) hee hee -- you're awesome -- now you can buy us all dinner down in Mexico. love you - shan

Boogie said...

The money is already spent on a stupid fence to contain my killer pit bull! Yes, Im weird. Life is too short to be normal, right?

Anonymous said...

I asked Shannon if you were the coolest guy ever and she said yes, but you can also be a typical brother. LOVE your top 6 tips--I even printed them out. CONGRATS on the weight loss--what an inspiration! Have fun with your family in Cancun and keep Shannon straight--she's a crazy girl, ya know?
--Brunette Barbie's friend, Tonja

Anonymous said...

Being a former district wrestler myslef, cutting weight is alot of fun and do not try the last step I know that feeling (uuggh)- These blogs are touching -

Love Mandy's Husband Peter

Five Bama Tipton's said...

Love the blog Boog. Shan called me today and I have been sitting at the computer for the past hour catching up on your moms journey. I love you all and am continuing to keep you in my prayers! She is definitely a fighter! Congrats on the weight loss.
You sound like a wrestler...we felt your pain on your last day efforts .just a note Redding 9 and Sullivan 6 just finished their wrestling season in Bama. We know all about cutting weight. Sullivan cut 3lbs...to hit 40lb and Redding cut 21/2 to make 50lb. They know all to well about no food or water on weigh in day...yes we are that crazy family. It paid off Sullivan is the Alabama Youth State Champion and Redding placed 3rd losing one match. Love to your mom...and tell Jenn I love you too even though she NEVER call me back. Sandy in Alabama