Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Blessings of Cancer

Sound ridiculous? On the surface it really does. But the Bible promises me "that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God" (Rom 8:28). And in 1 Thess 5:16-18, we are instructed to "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Can God possibly be causing things to work together for good while Mom is suffering in the hospital with stage IV cancer? I'm suppose to give thanks for that?

I pray this cancer remits with all my heart. I pray it goes away and never shows up in any of my family, friends, or neighbors ever again. But here are several personal things that I thank and praise God for that have resulted from Mom's cancer:

-I grasp more profoundly how fragile health and life are
-I pray more daily
-I pray deeper, more thoughtful prayers
-I lean more on God for strength than before
-I've read the Bible more, learning and understanding more about Him
-I've realized the depth of love I have for my family
-I hold and hug Jenn and the kids tighter
-I appreciate my friends more
-I've been more spiritually minded
-I've grown closer to Shan and Sarah
-I've grown closer to Mom
-I cherish, appreciate, and savor my time with Mom more
-I've loved Mom better

Thank you Lord,
Boogie

3 comments:

DuffFam said...

Praise God Boog -- I see your heart. I love you --shan

Bonniesinc said...

I am keeping your mom and family in prayer. God bless you all.

Bonnie

seth said...

great blog. you all are inspiring us.

seth